Monday 26 October 2009

Longstanding Lib Dem Councillor steps down

Former Redcar & Cleveland Council Leader Eric Empson has today announced his resignation from the council.

Eric, who will be 85 next month, has represented Ormesby on the Council since 1989, initially on Cleveland County Council and later the borough council. He led the council from 2003 to 2007, when the Council achieved a 4-star rating.

But Eric feels the time is right to step back now.

Eric said:

“After discussions with my doctor I feel my health will not allow me to continue to represent the people of Ormesby and Nunthorpe to the full.

“I was proud to serve as Leader of the Council. It was a special privilege to represent my fellow citizens in local, regional and national forums.

“I would like to thank the people of Ormesby and Nunthorpe for electing me, and thank everyone who has worked with me as a councillor.”

Councillor Chris Abbott, Liberal Democrat Group Leader at the Council, said:

“I thank Eric for his excellent hard work over the years. His experience and wisdom will be missed by many.”

Lib Dem Group Chair, Councillor Irene Nightingale, who also represents Ormesby ward, added:

“It has always been a pleasure to work with Eric in helping local constituents. Local residents will miss his dedication in representing their interests.”

No comments: