Thursday 24 September 2009

RESIDENTS LET DOWN BY SWINE FLU ARRANGEMENTS - IAN SWALES

Residents in Redcar and Cleveland are being let down by the swine flu arrangements.

Those needing Tamiflu are expected to go to either Stockton or Whitby to pick up the drug.

Liberal Democrat prospective MP for Redcar has personal experience. He said: “I had some flu symptons and rang the help line. After a long pre-recorded introduction I was put through to two of the staff arguing between themselves and they couldn't hear me. Eventually I got through and was given all the help I needed. However I was amazed to be told that I had to nominate a "buddy" to go all the way to Teesdale in Stockton to pick up the Tamiflu. The pharmacy is only open between 2pm and 6pm. The nearest public transport is at Thornaby railway station which is over 10 minutes walk away for a fit person.

"Many residents will have problems with these arrangements especially those who are elderly or infirm. Not everyone knows someone who could spend most of an afternoon travelling to Stockton and back.

"It's unbelievable that Redcar and Cleveland Primary Care Trust has not provided a single pick up point.”

No comments: