Friday 17 August 2007

The day I met Fiery Fred

Posted by Chris:

I was looking at the match reports on the Yorkshire County Cricket Club website and I came across this link to the appeal for a statue to the world's greatest ever fast bowler. The 'Memories of Fred Trueman ' section reminded me of the day I met up with Fiery Fred:

In about 1964 or 65 we won the Championship at Harrogate, where I was born. I was about 14 or 15 at the time. My dad and I arrived early at the ground and were walking around the perimeter when a red open topped sports car drew up. Fred Trueman got out of it and said "good morning" to my dad as if he knew him. I was well impressed. Fiery Fred has spoken to my dad.

Those were great days. We used to get the three days off school when Yorkshire played at Harrogate and I was allowed to take advantage of it.

Living now in Redcar I had the pleasure of debating with Fred, along with Richard Whiteley, on Radio Cleveland, a year or two before Fred died, about our campaign for recognition of the continuing existence of the Ridings of Yorkshire. Fred was a staunch supporter of real Yorkshire.

No comments: